Module 20: UI Locations
Updated: December 6, 2020
Welcome to Module 20 of our Engagez Fundamentals Series! Follow along with our virtual assistant, Katie, as she gives us a step-by-step walkthrough of using the Locations page under the UI Design menu.
1. First we are going to begin by discussing the background. The image below will look familiar to you as it is the lobby of the testing venue that has been used in all the modules. This is the view you will see on a laptop.
However, on a desktop, the image is often quite zoomed out. So make sure that when you do create the background that it looks good for both desktop and laptop users.
2. To begin, open the UI Design tab, then click on [Name of Location] Location. For the location, you can either choose from the menu under the UI Design tab or you can choose the blue text box in that location.
Then from the dropdown menu, choose Edit Style.
This is where you can add the background image. We recommend using a 2000×1000 pixel image size so that anyone on any device can see it. You can also change it to just a color or a video if you prefer. If you do a video, you want to make sure it loads for all attendees, no matter what their bandwidth is, so try to keep it under 10MB. There is also an audio option to play sound while someone enters the venue. Make sure not to use the audio option if you plan on using a video with sound.
3. The next option is Add. With this feature, you can add any type of panel to a location such as text, video, images, or HTML. This is the most crucial part of customizing your venue.
For example, let’s add an Image Panel. Click Select. This will allow you to choose or upload an image to the Media Library. Then click Insert.
Here, you can customize the background and the hover-over image as well as add a URL to link the image. This enables the image to be clickable. This is great for adding forms or callouts for any other company you want to showcase.
You can also adjust the size of the image. These numbers are in pixels. When finished, click Save.
This panel will now be shown in the location as well as the UI Design tab. The dropdown menu to edit this panel will appear both in the image panel on the location and in the UI Design menu.
If you choose to Hide a panel, you will not see it on the front end but it will appear on the back end under the UI Design tab.
To Unhide a panel, you can click on the panel under the UI Design tab and click Unhide. If you cannot locate the panel under the UI Design tab, you can find it an alternative way. Go to the Location dropdown menu and choose Manage Panels.
This popup will allow you to Hide and Unhide every panel in the location.
4. You can also add a video to your location if it is uploaded to the Media Library.
5. If your video is not uploaded to the media library, you can use HTML to embed it into the venue. Click View > Source Code.
6. Let’s take a look at the other types of panels we can add such as an Announcement Panel.
Once you have created an Announcement Panel, any announcements that you have made will appear.
Some of the panels you create will have a menu icon in the upper right corner when you are in the Administer tab. The Announcement Panel is one of these. Here, you can add additional announcements.
7. The Social Lounge is another panel that will have a menu icon in the upper right corner, but this one allows you to adjust settings. Each tab will have a different set of actions you can take.
For example, the leaderboard allows you to Configure Game Rules in order to assign points to Attendees for completing actions such as sharing a resource, visiting the lobby, and asking a question.
8. If you want to add custom CSS to a location, you can do that from the location’s dropdown menu. Click the Custom CSS Style button.
9. If you want to configure a mobile or tablet view, choose Mobile/Tablet Setup.
Here, you can exclude certain panels from the mobile view; simply unclick the checkmark next to the name of the panel.
Make the changes you want and then check them in other views, go to Device in the UI Design tab. Then choose Mobile Portrait.
This will show you all the panels that you have chosen to include for the mobile view.
Still have questions? Visit the Engagez Support venue or email us at email@example.com. If you’ve purchased an implementation package, please contact your implementation representative through Skype or email.